Tuesday 24 June 2014

Slimming world (my journey so far)

Hi everyone! So this technically isn't going to be a beauty or fashion post- it's going to be about my weight loss journey (thus far) with slimming world. I hope you enjoy and this may help some of you!!

The best place to start seems to be the beginning. So let me go ahead and tell you my story from why I started, my results, food it eat and my lifestyle right now.
So after Christmas 2013 I had some money I had got as a present for people and decided I would go into town to get myself some new clothes. I got my usual comfy dresses in my usual size and all was well... Until I decided since it was rather cold and I would buy some jeans. I had not bought jeans since before I fell pregnant with my daughter, who was 10 months at the time. Before I had her I was a good size 16- I've always had big hips and I was comfortable with that- so I went ahead and picked up a 16 in jeans, they didn't fit and I was gutted! But never mind, I went ahead and got the 18... They didn't fit either. Quite far from it. I was angry, disappointed and just felt awful but when i REALLY looked in the mirror I could see I had gained weight. I could see I had changed shape but I couldn't blame it all on having a baby. When I was pregnant I was quite ill in the last 4/5 months with a lot of pain and on a lot of strong painkillers which made me sleep so obviously I was in my bed a lot of the time. Hardly got out which meant I wasn't getting exercise and to top it off my hubby would bring me chocolate and crap to make me feel better. He was working all day so he could eat those things and he would burn it off, I wasn't! Anyway, when I gave birth, it just didn't register to me that I couldn't eat like that anymore, and that led me to where I was.

I went home feeling shit but after a few days I realised that sitting on my backside wasn't making any changes. I knew I had to do something. My nana had done slimming world for a while and lost 4 stone and her friend lost 6! If they could do it, so could I, and I did. I called my nana and we went along to my first class on the 6th on January I went to my first class. It was a bit daunting but I had a vague idea what I was doing as I went for a week pre pregnancy (then found out I was pregnant and quit. Worst decision ever)

THE PLAN:
Simple, eat as much fruit, veg, pasta, rice, potatoes, poultry, lean meat, quorn and tofu as you like. No counting, no weighing no measuring. FAB! So fruit and veg in "super free" and speeds up your weight loss, and everything else on that list is "free". You can eat unlimited amounts of both but it is recommended you fill 1/3 of your plate with super free and 2/3 free. On top of this you also get 1 "A" choice and 1 "B" choice. "A" is calcium so like cheese and milk. You do have to weigh and measure this depending on what your using and what your allowed, your "B" choice is your fibre so whole meal bread, cereal nuts etc. again they need to be weighed and measured. If that's not good enough you also get 5-15 "syns" to be used on treats like chocolate, crisps and anything else you enjoy but needs to be limited. Syns are typically 20calories is 1 syn, although SW don't like to talk about calories :)

SW is all about HOW you cook. I find fry light is my best friend. I chop a potato, par boil, spray with fry light and in oven 20 mins later hey presto, chips. You are pretty much cutting out fats and ready meals.

When you get your mind round all that it's simple to make good choices and the losses do come! I list 4lb my first week and by week 2 I got my half stone award and I was hooked. It feels so good to see a loss on the scales that you want to strive for those losses every week and have that good feeling. You can still have a social life and eat out, it's all just about better choices. For example, when eating out i have a nice big steak cooked without oil, a baked potato and beans. Tastes good and no syns which leaves room for.... Alcohol! 4 syns per vodka and diet coke. Not bad.

So after about a stone and a half I was fitting into size 16 dresses again  and I felt amazing, size 18 jeans fit lovely and I just felt great and the best park... It only took me about 2/3 months to loose that stone and a half.


So now we are at today, what can I say? I go to the gym 2ce a week and it's changing my body shape so quickly. I see a personal trainer every 3 weeks now who gets me a new routine, makes sure I know it then I see him 3 weeks later to do a check up, then again in another 3 weeks for another new routine to keep it fresh and keep by body guessing! BUT.... The gym is slowing down my weight losses. the cm's are coming off nicely and I can see the changes in my body so it's no problem! My first week at the gym I gained 4.5lbs but that was off the next week

Pre gym I could loose up to 2/3lbs, now it's usually between 0.5 and 1.5lbs a week, don't get me wrong it's still amazing.

So what everyone asks "how much have you lost in total?"
I was weighed this morning and I have lost a grand total of 39lbs (2 stone 11lbs) and all that in 24 short weeks :)
I am now between a 16 and 18 jeans (annoying) and I am a 14/16 in dressed but more so the 16. I don't know why it's taking so much weight for my body to drop a dress size. I know some people drop a dress size every 10lbs but everyone's body is different! I have dropped about 2 sizes and I'm so happy with that.

I am 2 stone 13lbs away from target, so let's say I'm half way!


Cringe! The *ahem* rather unflattering pictures at the top was June 2013 (way before SW) and  bottom pics was taken around a month ago so quite accurate (Sorry about the joggers!) 

I hope this post helped some of you thinking about loosing weight but not sure how to do it! I had never successfully lost weight until now and I'm so glad I did.

Kirsty xx



No comments:

Post a Comment